Saturday, October 28, 2017

First Poxwalker complete, or 171027 . . . All hail Father Nurgle!

So my first "non-Ultramarine" miniature completed. This nasty specimen is a Poxwalker of the Death Guard, and it was a lot of fun to paint. His number shall be 171027.1 . . . I number each miniature I finish based on date.  This guy was completed on October 27, 2017 hence his number.  He is part of the Dark Imperium box released earlier this year that also included a Primaris Ultramarines force which I am also working to complete.

Poxwalker of the Death Guard



I've never painted a mini outside of Space Marines, so this was quite a departure from the clean lines and straight armor of the Ultramarines.  I used the tutorial from Warhammer TV that Duncan Rhodes posted when the set was released.  I did a few things differently than the tutorial, but as always the videos that Duncan posts are an excellent way to get good results if you follow the tutorial.  The clips also include paint lists.



As I said it was fun to paint, it's kind of a canvas that you dabble at until it looks the way you want it to look, whereas Ultramarines have an exact look that you try to replicate, at least that's the way I paint them.  Anyway, fun stuff and very cool looking.  I tried for a very dirty nasty look as opposed to the minis that were done by the Games Workshop Eavy' metal team.  To me those looked great, but were a bit "too pretty" for walking corpses that are possessed by Demons.

There are 20 of these minis included in the box set, 10 identical pairs and I added 6 extras from another kit.  I'm going to try to get the pairs painted up so they look very different on the table.  Variations in skin tone and the colors of the clothing should do the trick.

This was a great learning experience, and should be a good springboard to getting the other 25 I have on hand completed and looking . . . hideous.

No comments:

Post a Comment