Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Space Marines have landed!



A package arrived today from The War Store, right on time and in perfect condition, so great service on my first order.  I picked up the cutting mat at my local Hobbytown USA, it's nice and thick and should do a great job protecting tables while cutting.

Upon opening the Tactical Squad I was reminded how tiny some of the pieces can be, so yeah it's a bit daunting upon first inspection.  The are just a ton of options to consider on weapons, stances, armor, so many decisions to make.  Very cool kit though, I spent a lot of time just looking over the all the pieces in the sprues.

Upon first inspection and after a chance to see how they feel firsthand, the tools seem to be a solid kit to cover most my tool needs for a while...at least through this first squad.  The quality seems to be decent, no sloppiness in the tools and the finish looks like it will last a long time.    The Nylon "spreader" had me puzzled in the videos I saw, but after checking it out in person I think it will do a great job spreading texture paint on bases without having to muck up a brush.  I guess I'll know more about them after using them to complete this first squad.

At any rate, by the time I had time to sit down and look things over it was too late for me to start in on a project.  I did however pull off probably the most glamorous and exciting part of miniature modeling....cleaning the sprues!

I'm sure it isn't completely required, but after reading many times that the best idea is to clean your sprues to remove and manufacturing residue that may be left over I decided it was just too easy not to do.  So, I give you my first giant leap in modeling!

After a quick soak in tepid water with dish soap and a rinse followed by a towel dry, I guess they are ready to move forward.  Hoping to get something put together tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment