Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Assault Squad and old molds.

Overall the quality of these molds is quite a step down from the newer 2013 Tactical kit. The newer kits are far superior on fit and do not have nearly as many mould lines to clean up. I don't remember dealing with any "flash" on the Tactical kit, just some very faint mould lines.  Even the quality of the plastic is better on the new kit, it has crisper details and the finish is more uniform and smooth.  Also, the plastic on the older Assault kits seems harder, so it's harder to file without using more pressure.

I also don't like the fit of the exhaust area of the jump packs.  The fit is just off, the side seams I just filled with Citadel Liquid Green Stuff and filed down a bit which worked great. Inside the exhaust port is a different story. I don't have the files it would take to clean those areas up. Looking around the web it seems a lot of folks don't even fill the sides of the jump packs, and just accent them instead.  I don't mind the look of the intake area lines, they look mechanical, the sides of the pack look better filled and cleaned up in my opinion.  I'm going with filling the sides and living with the ports for now.  Maybe if I had a file kit like this, I could have a go at cleaning up the very small ports on the back of the pack...for now it stays.

I'm still happy with the models once they are cleaned up and assembled.  Some pretty nice stance and gear options, I just have a hard time with the port area...it's hard to ignore.  Probably need to get to some painting before I build more.

Exhaust port seams.
Jump Pack sides filled with Liquid Green Stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment